Saturday, April 9, 2011

Let's Go Out Back

If our first front porch wasn't welcoming enough...then mosey on into the back.
Gulp..




See that screened in porch?  




It actually wasn't even a screen but more like a "cage" built with hog wire.
There were two abandoned raised beds, a neglected paint job, no window screens, no grass..you name it ..it was neglected.


Here is the side yard..Gotta love my pose and the really grainy photo! Photography has come a long way in 10 years for sure.


This is what it looked liked in the middle of our demo of the inside of the house....Talk about gratifying and overwhelming..Nothing classier than a toilet in the back yard;)


And here is the "view" looking back across the yard from the other direction


And here is the transformation!  
We removed the "screened in porch", painted, added solar screens to the windows to cut down on the morning sun(an prevent flying creatures from coming to live with us), built a deck, added an outdoor fan and planted tons and tons of drought resistant plants(and some that weren't native to central texas or drought tolerant that didn't do so well).  We babied what little grass was present and it eventually filled in really nicely.


Through this process we definitely learned what kind of plants work well for us and which don't.  If something wasn't doing well where we put it then we would move it and try again(if it wasn't too late).  Another thing that we learned with this yard is how to "not" space things.  We have a tendency to put things too close together and underestimate how big they are going to get.  I have a feeling this yard is a bit overgrown now..We haven't lived there in 4 years and before we left we noticed that several of our trees were getting a little cramped where they were placed.  Oh..we also added trellis to the top of the fence in order to block the "view" of some duplexes right behind us.  

Here is hubs tilling up the ground so we could add compost and provide a healthy base for the St. Augustine to spread.
You can also see that he added new taller posts to the back fence in preparation for the lattice that we added to block the "view".



Here the lattice is up, we have made a curvy bed along the back fence and planted the big players in the  yard...the trees, rosemary, agaves and such.


Here is how it was looking before we build the deck.



Amazing what a deck can do for a space!


Didn't the hubs do a nice job?  I think a deck makes all the difference in the world..It pulls you out into the yard to enjoy all your hard work!




Sadly I don't have a picture of the side of the yard but I promise we got rid of the toilet and it was looking might fine.  We also had a huge garden on the other side and I don't have a clue if I ever took pics of it or not.  I sure hope I come across them some day.


I did find a pic of this awesome that hubs built as an entry to the side yard.  I'm a lucky girl.
That's a carving of a tree in the circle on the top of the gate..
Cool huh?  

We LOVED this yard and spent many many hours drinking coffee(yep I am officially old and addicted to it) and grilling out here.   Can't wait to see what kind of deck we can design around the new casa in in the near future!  Hill Country View..Yes Please!
Linking to:




Photobucket

25 comments:

myra said... Best Blogger Tips

Your deck looks so good! It really makes me miss our house in Austin. We had a covered deck, too (wasn't as nice as yours but it worked for us.

I love reading about all your ideas and seeing the transformation of your house. You guys are so talented.

Krafty Max Originals said... Best Blogger Tips

My house next, please!!

I couldn't find the post about the Boost my

Blog Friday Blog Hop, so I am leaving my note

here....

BLOG HOPping around - I am now a follower of

your blog, wont you also follow me?? ~KM
Krafty Max Originals

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips

Your home is beautiful and that deck is amazing! My husband and I just bought our first house (closing May 11th) and we need to do some major finishing work on our back, deck included! I am so inspired by your before and after pics, I cannot wait to move in and get to work! I linked up pictures of our new home on Life Made Lovely, I would love for you to check it out and please give advice since you and your hubby are the decking pros! :)

http://littlethingsbringsmiles.blogspot.com/2011/04/white-house-black-shutters.html

{northern cottage} said... Best Blogger Tips

ahhh that looks so inviting and relaxing...took a LOT of work (not relaxing) to get it to look that great, I'm sure! Enjoy it!

Katie @ minivan diva said... Best Blogger Tips

Coming from a girl who loves any kind of home design, this is AMAZING!!!

Designed by Chance said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks like a wonderful place to retreat from the world. It is so lush and green. I hope to do something similar to my yard, but have a long way to go.

Brandy J. said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so jealous right now! Your backyard is a stunning oasis -- amazing.

Janet said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh Em Gee....the transformation is STUNNING! AMAZING!!!!!

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Fishtail Cottage said... Best Blogger Tips

Your transformation is absolutely grand! i host a garden party on Thursday's & would love to have you share our before & after garden post! Visiting you from WUW ~ xoox, tracie

Tammy @ Type A said... Best Blogger Tips

love it! looks beautiful. thanks for sharing this at my party!

How To said... Best Blogger Tips

What a transformation to the backyard! I love the adirondacks and stone wall in your header too. :)

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my goodness I love this space!! It's so inviting! I would sit out there all the time!! Great transformation!

Caroline (Piorra Maison) said... Best Blogger Tips

What a difference. I love the tint of stain used on your deck. what color is it? Searching to re-stain and can't seem to find the right color.
Caroline

Kath said... Best Blogger Tips

wow. your deck is awesome! my husband are looking for backyard inspiration so thank you!

kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Fishtail Cottage said... Best Blogger Tips

So great to see you here at Cottage Flora Thursday's! I'm so happy to see you! Looking forward to many more garden posts as i can already see you will have a lot to share! xoxo, tracie

Pam Kessler said... Best Blogger Tips

That is an amazing transformation. Love the deck. I guess you didn't need to toilet in the yard LOL.

Anne said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW! That's what I would call a perfect transformation. You've made it as welcoming and restful as can be. Glad I found this over at Cottage Flora Thursday.

Kindra-At Home With K said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! I love the before and after of your backyard oasis! It's like a new addition to your home! Great job!

Kindra-At Home With K said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! I love the before and after of your backyard oasis! It's like a new addition to your home! Great job!

Julie said... Best Blogger Tips

congratulations what a beautiful job you have done.

Alison Agnew said... Best Blogger Tips

looks truly lovely...what good work you did! you now have a private little oasis in your own back yard...and i love your wrought iron patio set...thanks for sharing at ff!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Jen @ The Decor Scene said... Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous!!! What a completely different backyard. It reminds me of our yard makeover last year. Awesome job.

Alison Agnew said... Best Blogger Tips

just to let you know...i featured this post on fridays unfolded this week...have a wonderful easter weekend!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Meg @ Never a Dull Day said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooo You have the Spring Fever too!! And not only is your deck looking rockin!! But your climate is looking warmer and your yard less soggy - totally jealous over here!! This is a great deck! You guys and enjoy and hope your still having beautiful weather!!!

Visiting from Under the Table....

http://megschmitt-neveradullday.blogspot.com/

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said... Best Blogger Tips

Great transformation and love the look of it. Bet you miss it. We need a summer blog party button added to your post in order to be eligible for the giveaways! Thanks